Sunday, April 3, 2011

Richard Linklater - Before Sunrise

This is one of my favorite movies because it hits on so many sentimental levels with me. It may very well be the most romantic movie ever filmed, and I am a romantic at heart so it really resonates with me. Like most of Linklater's work this is a very dialogue based film. Linklater teamed up with Kim Krizan to write the script and its near perfect. It's about two strangers (Ethan Hawk, the American, and Julie Delpy, the beautiful Parisian) who fatefully meet each other on a train and get off at Vienna and have one night to get to know each other and connect. They do connect, and very passionately so, as the evening progresses. Hawks character is cynical, much like myself, but also a romantic at heart. Delpy's character is similar and because of this they really hit it off as they began to divulge more intimate details about their lives. It almost seems like they've spent a year's worth of getting to know each other in just a single night. My favorite scenes are the listening booth scene with Kath Bloom's "Come Here" playing and the two characters beginning to awkwardly fall for each other, the heavenly kiss scene during the gorgeous gloaming atop the Wiener Riesenrad Ferris wheel, and the heartbreaking, lachrymose departure at sunrise. Oh how I long for such a night - not a hedonistic one night stand - but a real love at first sight type of ordeal. If I'm ever in Europe on a train I'll be sure to sit next to the prettiest girl and ask her to disembark with me in some romantic European city for a night.

5 comments:

  1. No but I just watched the trailer and it looks good. Its on my torrent list as I type

    ReplyDelete
  2. I torrented a file of Entropy and it was overdubbed in dutch. Anyway you could point me in a direction of where I could get a copy of this (preferably for free)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great, unique little film directed by Phil Joanou, who also directed one of my all time favorite 80s movies-Three O'Clock High. I rented it back in the days on VHS-I can't believe Netflix doesn't have it??

    Good luck finding it-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it, watched it an enjoyed it. The chemistry between the main character and Stella wasn't quite as magnetic as between the Characters in Before Sunrise/Sunset, but it was still a good unrequited love flick, which are right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete