Monday, January 16, 2012

Rolf de Heer - Bad Boy Bubby (1993)



Note: Its 5am and I'm kind of writing this half asleep so bear with me...I'll probably come back and edit tomorrow. Pardon the ranty wall of text...

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WHAT A BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT FILM. I don't even know where to begin. This is one of those movies whose title and trailer might make it out to be not as shocking or soul-destroying as parts of it actually are, and I know that somewhere someone rented this with their family and was in for a huge surprise. I guess I should talk about the "one scene" (although there were many). But one in particular, was executed in such a casual manner I couldn't have prepared myself for it. I knew it was coming, reluctant, yes, expecting, yes, just waiting for it because it was inevitable and only a matter of time before ***** **** ******** and gets ***** ** ****, and I grimaced like I knew I would. This is by far the most touching, wonderful and inspiring movie where a mentally handicapped man takes off on a desultory trip in the world for the first time and **** ***** ** ****, ***** *** ***, **** * *** that I have ever seen. But despite all those fucked up spoilers that I don't dare expose, holy shit, this was good. There are so many pitfalls for a movie like this and Rolf de Heer avoided all of them commendably. The depravity of the films' focus was made bearable by the many hilarious moments through out, some of them laugh-out-loud hilarious. Near the end there is one of most joyous + depressing + memorable scenes I've witnessed in some time. So whether or not you want to take it as one big dark, yet humorous metaphor on Oedipal complexes or even life itself, or just at face value as a bizarre character study, keep in mind that Bad Boy Bubby is not just one of the most fucked up films ever (which it rightfully gets credit for), but a damn fine one to boot. I smiled, laughed, cried, and by the end I was exhausted from expending so much emotion. Nicolas Hope should've won an Oscar. The ending....dear lord, the ending! Monumental. Superb. Phenomenal. Marvelous. The best Australian film ever made.

Be more like Bubby. Cling wrap ignorance and hatred.

No comments:

Post a Comment