Sunday, March 20, 2011

I have often comtemplated selling a limb for a good time - SXSW In summary

Although it was an all-out 3-day long bender, I had 2 separate bouts of acute insomnia, and the only real showcase I saw was Triple Threat Love Triangle (John Maus, Nite Jewel, //TENSE//) at The Victory Grill on Thursday (Really the only thing worth seeing...I stopped off briefly at Fader Fort before this, but only to snag a few free beers and wait in lines for an hour), my stay in Austin was totally worth it because I got to see John play and got to see some family and good friends including my friend Corey of Nite Jewel (who is rarely in these parts). Nite Jewel ended up not getting to play because of time, //TENSE// was, well, kind like their name sounds, and John was back in full force, putting on an awesome show dripping with sweaty intensity. I attempted to interview him via my phone's camcorder after the show but my battery died like 2 minutes in. Regardless, the interview is still coming and I got to hang out with John all night and had some fantastic conversations as we made the rounds to Ariel Pink's hotel room (or attempted to, rather) with Kenny "Keys" Gilmore and the girls from Puro Instinct and then back to John's hotel because he was nice enough to let me crash after my friends bailed on me. All in all it was a fun night and the next night, after finally falling asleep around noon and staying that way all day, decided against going out (I think I missed Ariel Pink, but I've already seen him play a billion times) and spent the night with an ex-lover instead before leaving bright and early Saturday in the AM, sleep clock officially skewed. Memorable moment of the festival: having insomnia across the room from John in his hotel room at like 6 in the morning with Momus' Voyager looping over and over in my head. Honorable mention: things I can't say on here that happened the next night :)

I'll leave you with a video, courtesy of Pipilotti Rist. I posted the original not too long ago, but this version is so, so superior. Best cover of one of the best songs of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment