Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ingmar Bergman - Persona (1966)


This is one of those films that I should have seen years ago, but never got around to it. What impressed me the most was the dialogue. Every line, every word spoken was pure poignancy. When Alma discusses her spontaneous erotic fling with the two young boys and describes her orgasms, I was aroused, just from her recollection and how it was worded. It was such a well-scripted film. Beyond that, the cinematography, with the up close shots of the character's faces, was unnerving in a way very few directors can pull off (David Lynch comes to mind, and as WorriedCitizen pointed out, Persona was a big influence for Mulholland Dr. Not only does it share a similar theme and characters, but Lynch paid homage visually in a scene where the faces of the women merge). The acting was phenomenal as well. The amount of depth and symbolism imbued in this film was also astounding; it has this jen a se quois that I can't quite describe because its so ambiguous. Most certainly a motion picture masterpiece and a film that would require multiple revisits to really gain an understanding of the characters and their relation to each other. I wish I could write about film more eloquently but my cinema diction and technical knowledge is fairly limited and Persona is a deep, cerebral work of art. That being said, I can still appreciate, and this was a film that I certainly did appreciate on many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment